Rule #1: DON’T BE A D-BAG!
The purpose of Volo City Volleyball is to have fun! As an adult volleyball player, it is your personal responsibility to never allow yourself or your teammates to cross that line between fun competition and unsportsmanlike behavior. Our 6v6 league is designed to be more social and is for players of any level.
6 v 6
- 4 males max. on court
- Minimum 3 people, 1 female
- No gender rule for hits per side
4 v 4
- 2 males max. on court
- Minimum 3 people, 1 female
- No gender rule for hits per side
**NO alcohol at indoor facilities**
*Please show up 10 minutes early for your games to stretch*
- If the ball hits the ceiling or sides and does NOT cross the net, the ball IS LIVE
- If the ball hits the ceiling and goes over the net, the ball is DEAD (everywhere except Merritt)
- Out of bounds is the area outside the designated court line. The line is IN bounds.
Refs: Self ref games (there will be a staff member present for tough calls)
- If a team has less than the minimum number of players, they will forfeit 1 game for every 10 minutes past the designated start time
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited
Scoring: Rally Scoring
- 1st 2 games go to 25 (straight up)
- If it’s 1-1 in games, the third game is to 15 (straight up)
- The server MUST call out scores LOUDLY before each serve
- Any position can spike and block
- No 10 foot line
- You can block and then make a legal hit in a row
- No jump serves
- No Liberos
- Any contact with the net is the loss of a point
- Minimal net contact or carries is allowed. However blatant net contact or carries should be called (please explain to your teammate or opponent what they are doing wrong – they may be new to the sport)
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**
Rules In Detail:
Code of Sportsmanship
- Volleyball is a self-regulated game that relies on the Honor System. If a fault occurs, you are expected to call it as such.
- Staff members are there to rule on unclear plays, settle disputes, keep the game moving and ensure player safety. While they will at times call a fault, a lack of call by a Staff does not remove your obligation to abide by the Honor System.
- Team captains must be the only players that address concerns to referees and league officials. They are expected to do so in a courteous and respectful manner, and to confine their discussions to interpretations of the rules and not challenge referees’ decisions regarding judgment.
- Players are expected to comply with the intent and spirit of the rules. Deliberately attempting to violate the rules is unacceptable.
General Game Rules
A best-of-3 format will be used for all matches. Generally, USVBA rules will be used with the following additions, exceptions and clarifications:
Teams and Players
- All players must be at least 21 years of age prior to participating in any Match and must be registered and in good standing with Volo City Volleyball (herein: the “League”).
- Rosters must include no fewer than 9 players (minimum of 2 women) but may have as many players on the roster as a team chooses with no other restrictions.
- Each team may have 6 players on the court at one time (2 females, 4 males)
- During playoffs, you may ONLY use team members on your roster
- League officials have the authority to eject anyone before, during and immediately after any match if they feel it is warranted.
- All decisions made by referees are final.
Game Start, Ending and Timing
- The team Captains will use rock-paper-scissors to determine the choice of serving first or choosing a side for the first game.
- Teams will switch sides for the second game and the team who did not serve to start the first game shall serve to start the second game.
- A time limit will be placed on all games. If time expires in the middle of a game, the team with the most points will be declared the winner of that game. If less than a two point difference exists between scores the referee or league host will set a cap and the teams will play to that point.
- Teams will forfeit 1 game for every 10 minutes past the designated start time that they do not have the legal amount of players.
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players present 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited and the team that is present will be declared the winner.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to need to forfeit a game, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. We will do everything that we can to reschedule your game, but this does not mean that your team will not receive the loss as a forfeit if we cannot accommodate your needs.
- A game ball will be provided by Volo City. Only balls provided by the league will be allowed in play.
- Players must wear athletic, closed-toed shoes (for indoor courts).
- Matches will be played as a best-of-3 format.
- Rec Scoring: Games will be played to 25 points (No win by 2). Rally Scoring will be used.
- The third game will be played to 15 points straight up. Rally scoring will be used.
- Scores should be called out loudly before each serve.
Substitutions / Rotation
- Teams are allowed an unlimited number of substitutions per match.
- Team members must rotate on the court and remain in that position until the serve has been contacted.
- The player in the back right hand corner of the rotation will be designated to serve and continue to rotate clockwise.
- Any player may block or spike at the net, regardless of rotation.
- Overhand and underhand serves are allowed. Jump serves are not allowed.
- When serving the ball, the player has 5 seconds to make contact with the ball before a side-out is called.
- If the ball is served into the net, and it goes over, it is considered a legal serve.
- The serve can be returned with a pass or a set. The serve cannot be blocked or attacked at any time.
- The serve can be made from anywhere behind the end line and within the sideline.
Playing Rules and Faults
- A maximum of three consecutive contacts per side after a serve or block attempt are allowed to return the ball.
- A block attempt is not considered a contact.
- No player may hit the ball twice in succession, except after a block.
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime, unless a ball or person driven into the net causes the contact.
- Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation.
- When executing a block or spike, a player may follow through over the net, as long as the individual doe not interfere with players on the other side of the net.
- Alcohol is not permitted inside the volleyball facility, on the grounds, or any place where prohibited by area rules. Players caught with alcohol will be REMOVED FROM THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND. Our permits are too valuable to risk!
- If League officials have reason to believe a player is too intoxicated to play, that player will be ejected.
- League Management reserves the right to suspend or expel any player from the league for any reason without refund.